Sunday, July 20, 2008

Training Sunday with the Family

So I it is sunday, and I had my challenges set out for the run.  I had to run 14 miles today.

The catch..  I worked a 24-hour shift in the hospital from saturday 7am to sunday 7am.. And on top of that, I rode my bike to work (8.5 miles each way)..  So I had to ride home after the shift, get some grub, round up the troops (wife, sister-in-law and son who would join me on wheels - i.e. bikes and stroller-in-tow) and set off running.

Minor details:  
It was hot today.. Base temperature of 85 degrees farenheit, with high humidity and not a cloud in sight.

As soon as I arrived home I found my son to be napping, and he didn't wake up until about 10:30am... So I fed him and got everyone ready to head out by 11am.

The run started out great.. We have a bike-path close to our home so we just ran/rode to it and set off.  

Unfortunately, it was a little too hot for my son, so we had to cut the run short at 3.5 miles....  I had some common sense drilled in from my wife that it would probably not be a good idea to continue running now (as it was 12:00noon with the sun directly overhead, and the temperature rising!)...

So I took her advice, fed my son once more and played with him quite a bit.  After another nap (he fell asleep on my chest while i lay on the couch, so i joined him in his game), I set off for the remaining 10.5 miles at 4pm, and finished in under 2 hours... Not bad for post-call on a hot-humid day.

As an aside, I wore one of my new shirts (happens to be a pink tanktop), and more people said hi to me as I ran past them than any other day... You see, I always make a point to greet any walkers/runners/rollerbladers/bikers on the trail, and usually I get a 50% greet-back..

I'll do more experiments on this and get back to you...

Til the next time.

No comments: