Saturday, August 9, 2008

Running baby!

Hello again

The weekend got off to a great start when my son woke up this morning hungry and ready for a run (he's one). I fed him some waffles with my wife, and we were all getting ready to go for a run when she got a bout of morning sickness (courtesy of the next baby)..

So the plans changed a little.. I tucked her in nicely for a nap and took off with my son for a good 12 mile run.

I started off a little sluggishly as I wasn't able to do all the "scheduled" runs this week.. Once I got to about mile 3-4, I found a great zone and picked up the pace... There were lots of people out on the trail today, and everyone was quite friendly..

I passed a few runners and shortly after my turnaround point I got passed by a pretty fast guy.. I tried to stay on his tail but I was no match for him.

Instead, I caught up to another runner and slowly (over 1 mile) passed him.  I was about 3.5 miles away from home at this point, and I had to keep my lead.  At times I was feeling the burn and thought that I'd have to slow down a little, but then Lucas would cheer me on and we'd pick the pace right back up! So in the end, I made a great effort, maintaining a heartrate above 170 for a couple of miles and managed to stay ahead of the runner..  He kept making attempts to catch up to me but I wouldn't give in! 

In the end, I think both of us were better off for it.  Nothing's better than a little taste of the competition on marathon day!

What kept me going today?  An old quote from Lance Armstrong: "No gifts!"

No comments: